Every year your electric cooperative sees collisions where tractors and other farming equipment accidentally collide with utility poles and power lines. These dangerous accidents can be avoided by keeping the safety tips below in mind:
- Maintain a 10-foot clearance in all directions around all utility equipment
- Use a spotted and deploy flags to maintain safe distances from power lines and other electrical equipment
- If your equipment makes contact with an energized or downed power line, contact 9-1-1 immediately and remain inside until the power line is de-energized. In case of smoke or fire exit the cab by making a solid jump out of the cab (without touching it) and hop away to safety.
- Never attempt to raise to move a power line to clear a path. If power lines near your property have sagged over time, call your cooperative.
- Use care when raising augers or the bed of a grain truck. It can be difficult to estimate the distance and sometimes a power line is closer than it looks.
- Don't use metal poles when breaking up bridged grain inside or around bins.